Sandpaper uses different materials, pulverized into particles of different sizes, and flakes that are bonded to the surface of the paper, such as emery paper, river sandpaper, glass sandpaper, etc. According to different shapes, there are sand sheets, sand belts, and garden sandpaper.
The Selection of Sandpaper
Regular sandpaper ranges from 60 grit to 1000 grit. Used for jade polishing, wood polishing, metal shaping, jewelry renovation, etc. Choose sandpaper of different meshes according to your actual needs. Round sandpaper is generally self-adhesive sandpaper, used for disc sanding machines, disc sanding machines, lithium battery sanding machines, etc., with 4 inches, 5 inches, 6 inches, 7 inches, 9 inches, etc. It can also be used for your own DIY disc sander, the round sand disc self-adhesive disc can be used with round sandpaper.
The Selection of Abrasive Belts
Abrasive belts are generally used in belt machines, and there are also hand-torn abrasive belts, which are convenient for manual use. Choose the appropriate length, width and mesh belt according to the model of tools and equipment. Sandpaper comes in different materials, each suitable for sanding different objects. First up is garnet, a natural abrasive used for sanding any bare wood, garnet is versatile, but it will go faster than other sandpapers. This is followed by silicon carbide, which is suitable for grinding joints.
The Grades of Sandpaper
There are three grades of sandpaper: coarse, medium, and fine. The higher grit sandpaper, the smoother the surface of the sandpaper will be.
- Coarse sandpaper :40 to 80 grit. (80-grit sandpaper should be coarse enough)
- Medium sandpaper:100 to 150 grit.
- Fine sandpaper :180 to 220 grit.
Generally speaking, the grit starts from the smoothness of the surface to the desired degree of polish. Polishing paste should be used for higher grit.
- For fiber materials such as wood and leather, it is difficult to achieve a very high grit number. It can be directly started from about 200 grit, and it can be finished with 800 to 1000 grit.
- For metal materials, start from about 80 grit, multiply by 2 each time, and the effect is already good when it reaches 1500 grit or 2000 grit.
- Plastic, carbon fiber, glass fiber, and stone products generally have a matte effect on the original surface, and the selection of sanding paper is limited, such as 800 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit, etc.
You can choose the appropriate particle size and sandpaper according to the object to be polished. If you want to know more about sandpaper, please click here https://carabrasive.com/.